Thursday, December 3, 2009

TEAM Rocket blasting off again!

So, apparently, Afghanistan is a warzone. Part of that paradigm is that from time to time, insurgents and terrorists fire rockets randomly at the base. They don't aim them except just generally so that they land on the base. They shoot them and run away.

So this happened last night. A few of us stayed late at the office to spend some time playing 'Last Night on Earth', a really interesting and fun game about zombies attacking a small town. I'm proud to say that my buxom nurse token was responsible for most of the zombie kills of the game. She worked in tandem with my priest token to keep the zombies from taking over.

More proof that I'm going to be one of the survivors when the zombie apocalypse hits. I always do well at zombie sims (sims, not games). You'll probably want to stick with me.

But I digress, rockets.

So last night after saving the world from zombies, we put everything away and left the building to head back to the housing village about a mile or so away when we heard it. That whistling noise that we associate from the womb as a bomb dropping on the earth, wreaking massive destruction. Shortly after, there was a loud boom as it exploded somewhere near on the base.

Now, in the Army you drill again and again for this sort of thing. When you hear that whistle, you are supposed to yell, "INCOMING!!!!" and dive immediately to the ground and cover your head.

Of course, in training, you always simulate the immediate dive and just kind of get on the ground. What they don't tell you in training is that in Afghanistan, the ground you are on is probably going to be covered in gravel. Have you ever dive onto gravel? No? Neither have I. I bet that would hurt.

You may have deduced that we did not yell incoming and dive immediately to the ground.

No, what we did was this:

"Hey, is that a rocket?"

"I don't know, I think it is."

"Maybe it's the gunnery range."

"I don't know, you think? It sounds like a rocket."

"It's probably a rocket."

"Yeah, definitely a rocket."

"Let's go back inside."

"OK."

Then we did. And since we stayed at the office for another hour, we played a different card game, having to do with infernal technology and wreaking havoc on your buddies.

Later we learned that it landed near the USO. Nobody was hurt.

We were told by some of out office mates who did NOT stay to fend off zombies (they may have survived the rocket, but they are gonna be screwed on the day the dead walk, that's all I have to say about that) that several of them ran into a bunker in varying states of pajama, helmet, and bullet proof vest. That was probably a rather comical sight.

Later I stopped at midnight chow to grab something to eat since I missed dinner (you're going to miss meals often when you are fighting for your life against them brain eaters) and walking back, I thought I heard that whistling noise again, but it was only tinnitus. In my room I had my headset on for music and thougt I heard whistling through the music. I threw them off my head and there was nothing.

I think I may have PTSD. Probably need to take a break.

Kill some more zombies. Need to perfect my technique.

2 comments:

  1. Team Rocket? Which one is Musashi and which one is Kojiro? Do you get to wear a white miniskirt? Did you dye your hair red? Will you ever get Ash Catchem!? :o

    *ducks*

    ReplyDelete
  2. IIt's not a rocket; it's a Tie fighter!!! Or at least it sounds like one. Things get quiet over the winter. Before you know it this will be over and you will be back home with some interesting stories. So make the best of it and write about it.

    BTW: I'm I did well on my 'strategies and warfare' A big portion of it was about Afghanistan.

    ReplyDelete