Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Care Package

I've gotten some queries on the 'Care Package'. People want to know what to send or what I need. It's really hard actually, because I don't really need much of anything. Necessities are provided here. There are things I may 'want', but I've only a 6x6 foot room in which to store it.

A few of you have sent packages through the mail, some of them I've received, some I haven't. I'd like to take a moment to thank you for your thoughtfulness.

We also get, fairly often it seems, lots of packages for 'any soldier' or a school sending several boxes for our group, etc.

These boxes are filled with candy and cookies and cake and beef jerky and all manner of things that we can eat. It seems that my resolution to become more physically fit is to be tested by the copious amounts of edibles we get in the mail.

I already have my zombie apocalypse survival pouch. Despite all of my better judgment, I'm trying to work it off (I'll be sorry when the walking dead come shambling my way and there's no food to be had).

So, no food, unless it's something that's been discussed as an item that I have a particular fondness for that people won't normally think to include. Like Rooster Sauce, which I believe is already on its way.

Something I could use a bit of is some Sai Baba Nag Champa. I may have mentioned before I live in a plywood shack with 7 other guys. Some incense makes for a happier smell.

Here's an odd request: Cottonelle Brand Toilet Paper. Single rolls are fine. They don't carry the brand here in the PX. I've become somewhat particular about using this brand. I much prefer it to Charmin (which they carry) or no name brand. I'm averse to sandpaper brand which is prevalent here. I'd feel silly shipping toilet paper to a third world country, myself, but...

Music. This is a tough one, because I don't go for CDs anymore. I download individual songs from a site called Beatport. They used to have a Gift Card service, but don't anymore. I suppose you can use MC and Visa gift cards... it's a weird one, on the one hand, music is what will keep me the most sane out here, but something like this takes the fun out of Care Packages.

Which segueways into the next thing... the Big Care Package. I've been saving up and Alicia is going to go to the Apple Store after Christmas and look at a Mac, and the Logic Studio Suite. She's also going to check out the Ableton 8 Suite. These suites are $500 and $700 respectively, the computer is going to run $2K. I already have computer for surfing the internet and what (very) few games I still play. This Mac is going to be my music studio. It's always been my dream to create music and I've always been stymied by not having a computer with the processing power and/or memory to do so.

If anyone wants to help us with this, that would definitely be appreciated. Again it takes some of the fun out of the whole Care Package concept, but it won't keep me from shedding weight.

Something you could box up would be literature on using the Logic and Ableton suites. The software has a very steep learning curve and I'll be purchasing these books so I can get started using them.

Of course, any and all Care Packages will be received with my full gratitude. As well as the gratitude of my office and hut mates, as it's share and share alike, especially when it comes to food.

I'll keep trying to write more regularly here, as well... keeping in touch has always been a difficult concept for me to grasp and I again apologize for that. It doesn't mean I don't spend time thinking of everyone or wondering what's going on with them. I love you all and look forward to seeing you all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment